Sunday, June 9, 2013

Persistence in Writing


One trait of mature play is persistence - how can you teach it? 

 In January I started planning large blocks of time for writing.  At this point in the year most of the kids knew all their letters and sounds and I thought they were up for the challenge of writing their own books.  Boy, were they. 

These photos aren't set up  - 5 & 6 year old students were this busy writing.  For example, when the students come in Tuesday mornings they get right to work writing.  They can start a new book or work on one already started (they keep work in a bin when their not finished with it).  They then generally write for about 45 minutes, yes, 45 minutes.  I have one student who may need a little encouragement to continue but I always get lots of complaining when it's time to clean up.

I like to clean up and start sharing about 45 minutes before recess so they have as much time as they want for sharing.  Sometimes everyone shares and sometimes only a few.  They all love to share although they don't always love to listen to everyone else's sharing.  Our curriculum places great importance on oral language so this kind of sharing is very important.  I also notice how my writers influence each other.  When one writer draws a graph others follow his lead without me saying anything.  While I guide their learning about writing, it's often done individually.  The big teaching moments happen during share time from the students.

When a book is done they have the option of taking it home or hanging it on the bulletin board in the hallway.  Most kids take theirs home. 

As they became more persistent in their writing they also became more persistent in their play.  They understand that quality work takes more than a day.  So it has been very important for me to allow play items to be set up in the class for days at a time.  It would make no sense for me to ask them to disassemble a Lego building before they have a chance to play and use it.

They also like to write about their play.  Sometimes it turns into a plan but most often its a reporting of what has happened.  This class is Power Ranger crazy and there is a lot of writing and playing Power Rangers.  Some days there is a big group of kids trying to sound out Power Rangers but most often one of them will have it on their t-shirt and he helps them with the spelling.
 
 


                                    




 





 
 
The kids use our regular work bins with pencils, crayons, and erasers. Some also use glue to make a bigger book.  I cut 8.5 x 11 paper in half and some in quarters.  Students get a choice of what size to use.  When they are done I staple the book together for them.  I tried having staplers out but there were wasted staples everywhere.
 
I have read a few books on teaching writing that have influenced my practice.
 
In Pictures and In Words: Teaching the Qualities of Good Writing Through Illustration Study by Katie Wood Ray
 
I love love love this book.  It's very useful and usable.  My kids area always on the lookout for ways the illustrator is telling the story.  They especially like to show movement in their work.
 
6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide for the Primary Grades by Ruth Culham
 
This book keeps me in line about teaching all areas of writing.  It's easy to focus on one or two traits but if my students are to progress then I need to be thinking of them all. 
 
What's Next for This Beginning Writer?: Mini-Lessons That Take Writing from Scribbles to Script by Janine Reid & Betty Schultze
 
This is my go to book for writing instruction.  Each mini-lesson has a writing sample which is extremely helpful to see what your writers need next. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment